- 1 Title: Detailed Sikkim Judicial Service Examination Syllabus
- 1.1 Eligibility and Age Limit: Sikkim Judicial Service Civil Judge Exam
- 1.2 Detailed Sikkim Judicial Service Examination Pattern
- 1.3 Syllabus for Sikkim judicial service main exam for Civil Judge and Judicial Magistrate posts
- 1.3.1 Paper-I: procedural law, local laws
- 1.3.2 (A) Property laws
- 1.3.3 (B) Registration laws
- 1.3.4 (C) House rent and eviction laws
- 1.3.5 (D) Land laws
- 1.3.6 (E) Court fees and Stamp laws
- 1.3.7 (F) Adoption laws
- 1.3.8 (G) Civil Courts Act
- 1.3.9 (H) Municipal laws
- 1.3.10 (I) Interpretation and General Clauses Act.
- 1.3.11 (J) Other local laws
- 1.3.12 (K) Notification on the issuance of a certificate of identification
- 1.3.13 (L) Rural Indebtedness Act
- 1.3.14 (M) Language test
- 1.4 Paper-II: Substantive law
- 1.5 Viva Voce: Personal interview
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Title: Detailed Sikkim Judicial Service Examination Syllabus
|Name of Organisation||Sikkim High Court|
|Name of Posts||Civil Judge cum Judicial Magistrate|
|Recruitment Details||Sikkim High Court Civil Judge cum Judicial Magistrate|
|Type of Test||Objective Type|
|Test Mode||Online (Computer Based Test – CBT)|
Eligibility and Age Limit: Sikkim Judicial Service Civil Judge Exam
- The candidate must be a citizen of India.
- Candidate must be a holder of a degree in law, granted by a University established by law in India.
- Candidates must not be more than 35 years of age as on the last date fixed for receipt of applications.
- Candidates must be able to communicate in Nepali or any other language of the state.
- Candidates must have adequate knowledge of computer applications to be tested at the time of viva-voce.
Detailed Sikkim Judicial Service Examination Pattern
The competitive examination shall consist of:-
(i) Written examination
(ii) Viva-voce (Personal interview)
Each paper shall be of three hours duration and shall carry 200 marks each.
Syllabus for Sikkim judicial service main exam for Civil Judge and Judicial Magistrate posts
Paper-I: procedural law, local laws
Code of Civil Procedure, Code of Criminal Procedure, Indian Evidence Act, and Limitation Act.
(A) Property laws
- Notice dated 2nd January 1897 relating to transfer of land by Bhutias and Lepchas.
- Revenue Order No. 1 dated 17th May, 1917.
- Notice No. 660/G dated 21st May, 1931
- Notice No. 669/G dated 21st May 1931
- Sikkim Darbar Gazette Vol. XVIII No. 11 dated 21st April, 1969 Right of a woman to purchase or sell land after her marriage vis-à- vis Revenue Order No. 1 of 1917.
- O. O. No. 105/L.R. dated 25th February, 1961.
(B) Registration laws
- Notification No. 385/G dated 11th April, 1928 (Regarding Registration of Documents).
- Notification No. 2947/G dated 22nd November, 1946 (Regarding Registration of Documents).
- Sikkim State Rules Registration of Documents 1930.
(C) House rent and eviction laws
- Notification No. 6326-600/H&W-B dated 14.04.1949 Regulation of Letting and Sub-letting of Premises etc. (Health & Works Deptt.).
- Gangtok Rent Control & Eviction Act 1 of 1956 dated 31st May, 1956.
- The Sikkim Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants and Rent Recovery) Act, 1980.
(D) Land laws
- The Sikkim Cultivators Protection Act, 1985.
- The Sikkim Land (Requisition & Acquisition) Act, 1977 (1 of 1978).
- Notification No. 1209/L&F dated 25th May, 1950 (Regarding formulation of Substantive Law for Land in Sikkim).
- The Sikkim Regulation of Transfer of Land Act, 2005.
(E) Court fees and Stamp laws
- Sikkim Court Fees and stamp on Documents Rules dated 30.03.1928 (Amended schedule).
- Sikkim Court Fees (Exemption and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1983.
(F) Adoption laws
Notification No. 2341-4/G dated 17th June 1930 (Regarding Adoption of Heir).
(G) Civil Courts Act
Sikkim Civil Courts Act, 1978.
(H) Municipal laws
- Sikkim Shops and Commercial Establishment Act, 1983.
- Sikkim Allotment of House Sites and Construction of Buildings (Regulation and Control) Act, 1985.
(I) Interpretation and General Clauses Act.
Sikkim Interpretation and General Clauses Act, 1978.
(J) Other local laws
- The Sikkim Anti Drugs Act, 2006.
- The Sikkim State Legislator’s Appointment to Different Authorities Act, 2006.
- The Sikkim State Public Services Act, 2006.
(K) Notification on the issuance of a certificate of identification
Notification No. 66/Home/95 dated 2nd November 1995.
(L) Rural Indebtedness Act
Sikkim Rural Indebtedness Act, 1966 dated 23.9.1966, Notification No. 845/II dated 20.08.1968 issued under the Sikkim Rural Indebtedness Act, 1966.
(M) Language test
Nepali or any languages of the State.
Paper-II: Substantive law
- Hindu Law,
- Indian Contract Act,
- Sale of Goods Act,
- Partnership Act,
- Specific Relief Act,
- General Clauses Act,
- Transfer of Property Act,
- Indian Penal Code and Constitutional Law of India.
Note: Each paper shall be of three hours duration and shall carry 200 marks each.
Viva Voce: Personal interview
Viva–voce will carry 100 marks.
No candidates appearing for the Sikkim Superior Judicial Service Examination shall be qualified to appear for viva-voce unless a candidate secures a minimum of 40% marks in aggregate and each paper respectively:
(i) Only such number of candidates shall be called for viva-voce as shall obtain the highest marks in aggregate of both the papers in the written examination, up to the extent of five times of the number of posts as specified, in the advertisement inviting applications.
(ii) Selection of candidates shall be made on the basis of the aggregate marks obtained in the examination and viva-voce.
There is no specified syllabus for Viva-Voce but the interview is intended to supplement the written examination for testing the general and specialized knowledge in law & other subjects as well as the abilities to solve the problem during the course of work.
The Board will pay special attention to assessing:
- intellectual curiosity,
- critical powers of assimilation,
- balance of judgment and alertness of mind,
- the ability for social cohesion,
- The integrity of character initiative, and
- capacity for leadership.
We have provided the Sikkim Judicial Service Examination Exam Syllabus in the form of pdf. Also, we have mentioned the direct link to download the Sikkim Judicial Service Examination Pdf by using the below link at free of cost.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The written exam consists of three papers: Civil Law, Criminal Law, and English. The written exam is conducted to test the candidates’ proficiency and knowledge in all three subjects.
Buy the mock test papers and past year’s question papers. Buy the textbooks and bare acts (hard copies are always better!). And start preparing for the judicial services exam on your own.