- 1 Detailed RRB ALP Syllabus
- 1.1 RRB ALP Syllabus
- 1.2 RRB ALP Syllabus First Stage CBT
- 1.3 Second Stage CBT RRB ALP Syllabus
- 2 RRB ALP Exam Pattern
- 3 Marks Distribution of RRB ALP First Stage CBT (Section Wise)
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Detailed RRB ALP Syllabus
|Name of Organisation||Indian Railways|
|Name of Posts||ALP (Assistant Loco Pilot)|
|Recruitment Details||Indian Railways jobs|
|Type of Test||Objective Type|
|Test Mode||Online (Computer Based Test – CBT)|
RRB ALP Syllabus
RRB ALP Syllabus First Stage CBT
Number System, BODMAS, Decimals, Fractions, HCF and LCM, Ratio and Proportion, Percentages, Mensuration, Time and Work, Time and Distance, Simple and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Elementary Statistics, Square root, Age Calculations, Calendar, and clock and Pipes and Cisterns, etc.
General Intelligence and Reasoning
Analogies, Alphabetical and Number Series, Coding and Decoding, Mathematical Operations, Relationships, Syllogism, Jumbling, Venn Diagram, Data Interpretation and Sufficiency, Conclusions and Decision Making, Similarities and Differences, Analytical Reasoning, Classification, Directions, Statement- Arguments and Assumptions, etc.
RRB ALP syllabus under this will cover Physics, Chemistry, and Life Sciences of 10th Standard Level.
General Awareness of Current Affairs
Science and Technology, Sports, Culture, Personalities, Economics, Politics, and other subjects of importance.
Second Stage CBT RRB ALP Syllabus
RRB ALP syllabus for Mathematics, General Intelligence and Reasoning, and General Awareness are the same for both First and Second Stage CBT except Basic Science and Engineering
Basic Science and Engineering
The broad topics that are covered under this section are:
- Engineering Drawing (Projections, Views, Drawing Instruments, Lines, Geometric Figures, Symbolic Representation).
- Mass, Weight, and Density
- Work Power and Energy
- Speed and Velocity
- Heat and Temperature
- Basic Electricity
- Levers and Simple Machines
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Environment Education and
- IT Literacy etc.
Following are the subjects in RRB ALP Syllabus.
- General Science.
- Technical Ability.
- General Awareness.
- General intelligence.
RRB Asst Loco Pilot Syllabus for Arithmetic
- Time and Distance.
- Time and Work.
- Profit and Loss.
- HCF, LCM.
- Decimal Fractions.
- Number System.
- Ratio and Proportions.
- Unitary Method.
- Data Interpretation.
- Simple and Compound Interest.
- Mensuration (2D and 3D) etc.
ALP RRB Syllabus – Reasoning
- Number Series.
- Decision Making.
- Alphabet Series.
- Arithmetical Reasoning.
- A problem with Age Calculation.
- Blood Relations.
- Test of Direction Sense.
- Number Ranking etc.
- Non-Verbal Series.
- Grouping Identical Figures.
- Embedded Figures.
- Mirror Images.
- Cubes and Dice etc.
General Science Syllabus for RRB ALP 2018 Exam
- Environmental Studies.
- Biology etc.
RRB ALP General Intelligence Syllabus
- Figures and Pictures.
- Arithmetical Reasoning.
- Relationship Concepts.
- Visual memory.
- Verbal and Figure Classification.
- Space Visualization.
- Decision Making.
- Arithmetical Number Series.
- Current Affairs (National and International).
- Major Financial/Economic News.
- Budget and Five Year Plans.
- Books and Authors.
- Awards and Honors.
- Science – Inventions and Discoveries.
- Important Days.
- International and National Organizations.
RRB ALP 2018 Syllabus for Technical Subjects
- Electrical India.
- Rolls, Cables.
- Three Phase Motor System.
- Light, Magnetism.
- Proved To Be The Fundamental Electrical System.
- An Alternative System Single Phase Motor.
Electronics and Communication
- Digital Electronics.
- Networking And Industrial Electronics.
- Electronic Tube.
- Semi-Conductor Physics.
- Robotic Radio Communications Systems And Satellite Matters.
- Computer And Micro Processor.
- Machine Design.
- System Theory.
- IC Engines.
- Heat Transfer.
- Thermo Dynamics.
- Materials Applying Motion.
- The Power Plant Turbines and Boilers.
- Metallurgical Production Technology.
- Turbo Machinery.
- Production Engineering.
- Automation Engineering.
- Kinetic Theory.
- The Strength Of The Material.
- Metal Handling.
- Refrigerators And Air Conditioned.
- Thermo Dynamics.
- Energy, Material.
- Energy Conservation.
- Applied Mechanics.
RRB ALP Exam Pattern
Negative Marking in RRB ALP
- In the RRB ALP Official Notification, it is clearly given that the Negative Marking Scheme is applicable in both Stages of Computer Based Test of Railway Asst Loco Pilot & Technician Recruitment.
- For Each Wrong Answer, 1/3 Mark of the original will be deducted.
RRB ALP Exam Pattern (ALP & Technician)
|Stages||Subjects||No of Questions||Duration (Minutes)|
|First Stage CBT ( 15 Languages)||Mathematics||20||60|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||25|
|General Awareness (Current Affairs)||10|
|Second Stage CBT|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning|
|Basic Science & Engineering|
|General Awareness (Current Affairs)|
|Part B||Trade Subjects||75||60|
First Stage CBT of RRB ALP
- The first round of CBT is common for both ALP (Assistant Loco Pilot) and Technician.
- The total time duration of the Examination is 60 Minutes.
- Number of Questions asked- 75 questions.
- The questions will be objective type with multiple choice questions.
Topics For the First Stage CBT
- General Intelligence and Reasoning
- General Science and
- General Awareness of Current Affairs.
Marks Distribution of RRB ALP First Stage CBT (Section Wise)
Now let’s take a look at the Section Wise Distribution of Marks in the RRB ALP First Stage CBT 2018
|Sections||Number of Questions|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25|
|General Awareness and Current Affairs||10|
|Total Number of Marks||75|
RRB ALP Stage 2 Part-B Syllabus
The Consolidated RRB ALP 2 CBT Syllabus for all Exam Trades is linked against the trades listed below. Candidates may hit on the link to download the RRB ALP Stage 2 Syllabus of their Exam Trade:
|Book Binder||Industrial Painter||Mechanic Power Electronics||Structural Welder|
|Carpenter||Instrument Mechanic||Mechanic Radio and TV||Tailor (General)|
|CNC Programmer cum Operator||Machinist||Mechanic Repair and Maintenance of Heavy Vehicles||Tractor Mechanic|
|Domestic Painter||Machinist (Grinder)||Millwright Maintenance Mechanic||Turner|
|Driver cum Fitter||Mason (Building Constructor)||Moulder (Refractory)||Upholsterer|
|Driver cum Mechanic (Light Motor Vehicle)||Material Handling Equipment cum Operator||Offset Machine Minder||Utility Operator|
|Electrician||Maths and Physics Syllabus||Operator Advanced Machine Tools||Welder|
|Electronics Mechanic||Mechanic (HT, LT Equipments, and Cable Jointing)||Painter||Welder (Gas & Electric)|
|Fitter||Mechanic Advanced Machine Tool Maintenance||Painter General||Welder (Pipe)|
|Fitter Structural||Mechanic Auto Electrical and Electronics||Pattern Maker||Welder (TIG & MIG)|
|Forger and Heat Treater||Mechanic Automobile (Advanced Diesel Engine)||Plumber||Winder (Armature) / Armature and Coil Winder|
|Foundryman||Mechanic Diesel||Pump Operator cum Mechanic||Wireman|
|Furniture and Cabinet Maker||Mechanic Machine Tool Maintenance||Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic||–|
|Gas Cutter||Mechanic Mechatronics||Rigger||–|
|Heat Engine||Mechanic Motor Vehicle||Sheet Metal Worker||–|
RRB ALP Syllabus for Second Stage CBT Syllabus (PART A)
Mathematics RRB ALP Syllabus:
Check the entire topics of the assistant loco pilot exam syllabus for Mathematics from here: Topics covered in RRB Assistant Loco Pilot Syllabus are as follows:
- Number system, BODMAS, Decimals,
- Fractions, LCM, HCF, Ratio, and Proportion,
- Percentages, Mensuration, Time and Work; Time and Distance,
- Simple and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss,
- Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry, Elementary Statistics,
- Square Root, Age Calculations, Calendar & Clock, Pipes & Cistern, etc.
Loco Pilot Syllabus (RRB ALP Exam Syllabus) for General Intelligence and Reasoning:
Topics covered in RRB Loco Pilot Syllabus are as follows:
- Analogies, Alphabetical and Number Series,
- Coding and Decoding, Mathematical operations,
- Relationships, Syllogism, Jumbling,
- Venn Diagram, Data Interpretation and Sufficiency,
- Conclusions and decision making,
- Similarities and differences, Analytical reasoning,
- Classification, Directions, Statement – Arguments and Assumptions etc
RRB Assistant Loco Pilot Syllabus for Basic Science and Engineering:
Topics covered in RRB Railway ALP Syllabus are as follows:
- Engineering Drawing (Projections, Views, Drawing Instruments, Lines, Geometric figures, Symbolic Representation),
- RRB ALP Syllabus Topics: Units, Measurements, Mass Weight and Density, Work Power and Energy, Speed and Velocity, Heat and Temperature,
- Basic Electricity, Levers and Simple Machines, Occupational Safety and Health, Environment Education, IT Literacy etc
Loco Pilot Syllabus (RRB ALP Syllabus) General Awareness on Current Affairs:
Topics covered in RRB Technician Grade 3 Syllabus are as follows:
- Science & Technology,
- Politics and
- any other subjects of importance
RRB ALP Syllabus for PART B
The relevant trades for various engineering discipline/HSC (10+2) for appearing in the qualifying test is as below: Topics covered in Railway RRB ALP Syllabus are as follows:
|Engineering Discipline(Diploma/Degree)||Relevant trade for PART B Qualifying Test|
to be selected from RRB ALP Syllabus Topics
|Electrical Engineering and a combination of various streams of Electrical Engineering||Electrician / Instrument Mechanic / Wiremen /Winder(Armature) / Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic|
|Electronics Engineering and a combination of various streams of Electronics Engineering||Electronics Mechanic / Mechanic Radio & TV|
|Mechanical Engineering and a combination of various streams of Mechanical Engineering||Fitter / Mechanic Motor Vehicle / Tractor Mechanic / Mechanic Diesel / Turner / Machinist / Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic/ Heat Engine / Millwright Maintenance Mechanic|
|Automobile Engineering and a combination of various streams of Automobile Engineering||Mechanic Motor Vehicle / Tractor Mechanic / Mechanic Diesel / Heat Engine / Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic|
|HSC(10+2) with Physics and Maths||Electrician / Electronics Mechanic / Wireman|
RRB ALP Stage 2 Exam Pattern:
RRB Assistant Loco Pilot Exam Pattern for Second Stage CBT (Part A)
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Exam Duration|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||100 Questions||90 Minutes (1:30 Hours)|
|Basic Science and Engineering|
|General awareness of Current Affairs|
We have provided the RRB ALP Exam Syllabus in the form of a pdf. Also, we have mentioned the direct link to download the RRB ALP Pdf by using the below link free of cost.
Here is the list of official RRB Websites:
- RRB Guwahati (www.rrbguwahati.gov.in)
- RRB Jammu (www.rrbjammu.nic.in)
- RRB Kolkata (www.rrbkolkata.gov.in)
- RRB Malda (www.rrbmalda.gov.in)
- RRB Mumbai (www.rrbmumbai.gov.in),
- RRB Muzaffarpur (www.rrbmuzaffarpur.gov.in)
- RRB Patna (www.rrbpatna.gov.in)
- RRB Ranchi (rrbranchi.gov.in)
- RRB Secunderabad (rrbsecunderabad.nic.in)
- RRB Ahmedabad (www.rrbahmedabad.gov.in)
- RRB Ajmer (rrbajmer.gov.in)
- RRB Allahabad (rrbald.gov.in)
- RRB Bangalore (rrbbnc.gov.in)
- RRB Bhopal (www.rrbbpl.nic.in)
- RRB Bhubaneshwar (www.rrbbbs.gov.in)
- RRB Bilaspur (www.rrbbilaspur.gov.in)
- RRB Chandigarh (www.rrbcdg.gov.in)
- RRB Chennai (www.rrbchennai.gov.in)
- RRB Gorakhpur (www.rrbguwahati.gov.in)
- RRB Siliguri (www.rrbsiliguri.org)
- RRB Thiruvananthapuram (rrbthiruvananthapuram.gov.in).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
No, candidates can only apply through the online mode and there is no provision for filling the RRB ALP application form through an offline mode.
Candidates willing to apply for RRB ALB must not exceed 28 years of age and the minimum age limit is 18 years.
Stage-I will be conducted for 75 marks.
After qualifying stage-I, candidates will be called for CBT Stage II.