BMC Sub Engineer Syllabus and Exam Pattern Electrical, Mechanical and Civil and Architecture
MCGM Sub Engineer Technical Syllabus for the post of Civil Engineering
- Building Construction & Materials: Properties of wet and hardened concrete, tests on concrete, factors affecting the strength of concrete, water-cement ratio, aggregate cement ratio, mix design, additives, design of formwork, types of formwork. Stones, bricks, cement, lime, mortar, timber, plastic, concrete, steel, paints, and varnishes. Principles of building planning and design, integrated approach, building bye-laws, building services such as vertical transportation, water supply sanitation, thermal ventilation, lighting, acoustics, fire protection, and electrical fittings. Foundations, stones, brick and block masonry, steel and reinforced cement concrete structures, floors, doors, and windows, roofs, finishing works, and waterproofing.
- Strength of materials: stresses, strains, principal stresses, bending moments, shear forces and torsion theory, bending theory of beam, deflection of the beam, theories of buckling of columns.
- Theory of structures: Analysis of beams, frames, and trusses, slope deflection method, moment distribution method.
- Steel structures: Design of bolted and welded connections, columns, footings, trusses, steel beams, and plate girders.
- Design of reinforced concrete structures (Working stress and limit state): Design of slab, beam, columns, footing, retaining walls, tanks, building frames, and staircases.
- Construction planning and Management: Elements of scientific management, elements of materials management, safety engineering, network analysis, construction equipment, site layout, and quality control.
- Surveying: Classification of surveys, measurement of distances-direct and indirect methods, optical and electronic devices, prismatic compass, local attraction; plane table surveying, leveling, calculations of volumes, contours, theodolite, theodolite traversing, omitted measurements, trigonometric leveling, tachometer, curves, photogrammetry, geodetic surveying, hydrographic surveying.
- Estimating, costing, and Valuation: Specification, estimation, costing, tenders and contracts, rate analysis, valuation.
- Geotechnical Engineering: Geotechnical properties, stresses in soil, shear resistance, compaction, consolidation and earth pressure, stability of slopes, bearing capacity, settlements, shallow and deep foundations, cofferdams, groundwater control.
- Highway Engineering: Planning of highway systems, alignment, and geometric design, horizontal and vertical curves, grade separation, materials and different surfaces and maintenance, rigid and flexible pavement, and traffic engineering.
- Bridge Engineering: Selection of site, types of bridges, discharge, waterway, spans, afflux, scour, standards, specifications, loads and forces, erection of superstructure, strengthening.
- Environmental Engineering
- Water Supply Engineering: Sources of supply, design of intakes, estimation of demand, water quality standards, primary and secondary treatment, maintenance of treatment units, conveyance and distribution of treated water, and rural water supply.
- Wastewater Engineering & Pollution control: Quantity, collection and conveyance, and quality, disposal, design of sewer and sewerage systems, pumping, characteristics of sewage and its treatment, rural sanitation, sources and effects of air and noise pollution, monitoring, standards. c. Solid Waste Management: Sources, classification, collection, and disposal.
Technical Syllabus for the post of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Basics of Mechanical Engineering – Concept of mechanical technology – Milling, planning, shaping, drilling, reaming, grinding, riveting, welding and joining process – types, defects. Super finishing processes – Honing, lapping, buffing Casting, forging, rolling, drawing, forming processes Classification, Selection and application of Machine Tools, Cutting tool material. Coolants, Design of cutting tools or Tool design.
- Theory of Machines – Belt Drives, Gear Drives, Joints and Coupling, single and multi cylinder engines and v engines, belt and chain drives, degree of freedom.
- Machine Design Concepts – Torson, Spring, Joints, Bearing – types and Design, Theory of Failure, Factor of Safety, Combined stresses, struts and columns, design of screw and bolts, Design of Shafts and Springs, Keys.
- Strength of material – stress strain analysis, Trusses and Trough, Shear Stress, Torsion, bending moment and shear force concept, Shear force and bending moments in Beam, Deflection of Beams and different conditions, shafts and helical springs, impact load, torsion of bars
- Fluid Mechanics – Pumps, Types, Selection, Efficiency, Characteristics etc., Compressible fluid flow, Fluid properties, pressure, Thrust, Buoyancy, Viscosity, Bernoulli’s theorem, Hydraulic jump, non-uniform flow, reynold’s number, hydraulic gradient, water hammer.
- Manufacturing planning and Control – Manufacturing planning and control system, Forecasting, Planning Function, Planning for Material Requirements, Scheduling and sequencing, project management, Advance concepts of Production Planning 1 and 2.
- IC engines – Volumetric and thermal efficiency, SI engines, CI engines, Combustion, Knocking, Supercharging, cooling lubrication and ignition system
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning – Thermal Engineering – Ton of refrigeration, concept of latent heat, evaporation concept Thermodynamics – Law of thermodynamics, various Cycles w.r.t. PH curves Design of Refrigeration system – Compressor, Expansion unit, Accumulator, Evaporator, Condenser, Duct design, Vapour Absorption and Compression Refrigeration system Design of Air Conditioning system – Temp. Vs Humidity (8 different concepts), Types of system- split, centralised. Latest refrigeration and their examples.
- Parts of Vehicles – Engine, Chassis, Transmission, drive assembly, alternator, axle, body, wheels, brakes, steering, suspension etc.
- 10. Transmission – Gear drive design and analysis, Stepped drive Vs Step less drive
- Concept of SI and CI Engines – Carnot cycle, Reverse Carnot cycle, Rankin’s Cycle, Otto cycle, Diesel cycle, SI Vs CI Engine
- Efficiency – Thermal, Volumetric, Mechanical, Electrical system etc.
- 4 wheel drive Vs 2 wheel drive, Differential mechanism
- Recent trends in Automobiles
- 15. Electrical Fundamentals – Supply voltage, AC and DC Supply, voltage, current, inductance, resistance, capacitance, 3 phase and 1 phase supply system, electrical power, electrical energy, hv/ Iv supply, active and reactive power transfer and distribution, Reactive power consumption.
- Electrical power transmission & distribution – Substation & receiving station, earthling, substation equipment, Bus Bar, CT, PT, Protection relay numerical/ digital, circuit breaker, onload isolator, offload isolator, Surge arrestor, system grounding, equipment grounding, lightening protection etc. IS 3043, Single line diagram, control circuit, ladder diagram (PLC).
- Insulating material – Classification, dielectric strength, test & section (Bakelite, FRP, Teflon, PVC, HDPE, Mica, SF6, Vacuum, Oil etc).
- Electric Motors (Induction Motors) – Principle of working, 3 phase, 1 phase motors, motor starting methods, selection rating, cooling and enclosures, HV/LV motors, Motor protection relay, Motor control circuits, IS325, speed control methods-V/F control, slip recovery scheme, pole changing, construction of induction motors and their applications for pump, compressor, crane, actuator, tools, Maintenance & testing.
- Cables and wires – Types, construction, HV/LV cables, testing, fault finding, cable rating and selection, cable jointing, termination.
- Statutory requirement of electric installation – Oil, filtration, die electrical testing, insulation resistance testing, compliances with electrical inspector, safety precautions, permit to work (Lock out) procedure, safety equipment and test instrument, Indian Electricity Rules 1956 – provisions, IEEE, IEC, ESSA.
- Illumination (Light) – Types of light, solar lighting, LED, CLF, HPSV,Mercury lamp, tube light etc.
- Principles of Digital Instruments – Working principles of digital Voltmeter, Ammeter, Frequency meter, multimeters, Measurement of Resistance Megger Earth Test Potentiometer.
- Power Electronics – SCR MOSFET, FET devices, rectifiers and invertor, SMPS, PWM convertor, application.
- Batteries and UPS, DG sets.
- Power factor improvement and energy conservation Energy conservation method, audit, solar energy collectors, area calculations, Wind energy, Energy Conservation Act 2006, BEE initiatives and star rating to efficient electrical equipment
- Fire fighting apparatus and systems – Basics
- Electrical protection – MCCB, ELCB etc.
- Provision of National Building Codes on Building services & ventilation, electrical & allied installation, air conditioning, ventilation, acoustic, sound insulation and noise control, installation of lifts and escalators.
- Concepts of Electronics – Diode, Triode, Semiconductor, Forward bias, Reverse bias, Transistor – NPN, PNP.
- Logic Gates, De’Morgans Theorem, Boolean Logic.
- Counter, Adder, Flip flops and types
- PLC concepts – Ladder logic, Programming, architecture 33 SCADA – Concept, Hardware, Software etc.
- Automation – Timer, Sequencing, Logic
- Network Design – Lan, MAN, WAN, Topology – Ring, Star, Bus.
- Data Transmission – Single, Half duplex, Full duplex, Fibre optic concept
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing and Technology Driven practices
- Databases and Warehousing
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Computers in Industrial Engineering
- Internet vs Intranet
BMC Sub Engineer (Architect) Technical Syllabus
1. Regional Plan (R.P) Need of contents of Regional Plan Surveys necessary for Regional Plan Design & planning (Architectural) principle of planning Building Construction (Architectural point of view) planing
2. Development Plan (D.P.) Surveys, types, duration etc. Implementation and Financial Aspects.
3. Town Planning Scheme Concept of T.P.S Relation with D.P. Original Plot, Final Plot, Semi-final Plot Function of Arbitrator Cost of Scheme
Building Permission a) Building byelaws b) Development c) Document Required for development permission d) Measurement Plan e) Layout of Land f) F.S.I, TDR g) Development charge
5. Transportation Surveys Classification of Roads Public transport needs Requirement of civil aviation and Railways
6. Environment Aspects Environment Protection Acts. Surveys
7. Acts and Rules MR and TP Act 1996 Restated with D. Plan & Builds Design LA Act. 1894 Environment Act Related with Building planning.