In this post, we are going to cover the exam pattern and syllabus of the Territorial Army Officer exam in the easiest way possible.
Territorial Army Officer Exam Pattern
The examination will consist of a written test, an interview, and finally a medical test (in that particular order). Marks obtained in the written test and interview will be considered in the preparation of the merit list. Let’s take a look at an overview of the written test.
The written test will be conducted in two steps – Paper 1 & Paper 2. there will be two subjects in. Check out the below table for your better understanding.
|Paper||Subject||No of Questions||Marks|
|Paper 2||General Knowledge||50||50|
- The candidates will be given two hours to attempt all the questions in each paper.
- The question papers will be completely objective type.
- Every question will carry 1 mark.
- There will be negative marking for wrong answers.
- The stardard of questions in Elementary Mathematics will be of matriculation level basis. While the questions in all the remaining subjects will be of graduation level.
- It”s madatory for the candidates to score at least 40% in each subject to qualify the written test.
Interview and Medical Test
Candidates who successfully pass the written test will be called for a personal interview. Later, those selected in the interviews will have to go through a medical test. Before the final selection, the medical board will make sure that the shortlisted candidates are physically and medically fit.
Territorial Army Officer Syllabus
The syllabus for the Territorial Army Officer examination will go like this:
A) Paper 1
(i) Reasoning: The question paper will be designed to test candidates’ ability to think rationally and complete sequences by making logical conclusions based on the numbers, statements, and figures.
(ii) Elementary Mathematics:
- Arithmetic: Number System – natural numbers, integers, rationa and real numbers. Fundamental operations – addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square roots, decimal fraction
- Unitary Method: Time and distance, time and work, percentages, application to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio, and proportion, variation.
- Elementary Number Theory: Division algorithm, prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 & 11. Multiples and factors, factorization theorem, HCF and LCM. Euclidean algorithm, logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
- Algebra: Basic operations, simple factors, remainder theorem, HCF, LCM, theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, the relation between its roots and coefficients (only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear equations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous liner equations or in equations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable and their solutions. Set language and set notation, Rational expressions and conditional identities, laws of indices.
- Trigonometry: Sine x, cosine x, tangent x when O° < x < 90°. Values of sine x, cos x and ten x, for x = 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° & 90°. Simple trigonometric identities. Use of trigonometric tables. Simple cases of heights and distances.
- Geometry: Lines and angles, Plane and Plane figure theorems on Properties of angles at a point, Parallel lines, Sides and angles of a triangle, Congruency of triangles, Similar triangles, Concurrence of medians and altitudes, Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square, Circle and its properties, including tangents and normal, Loci
- Mensuration: Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which can bisect into the figures (field book). Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular area of cylinders. Surface area and volume of spheres.
- Statistics: Collection and tabulation of statistical data, graphical representation-frequency polygons, bar charts, pie charts, etc. Measures of central tendency.
B) Paper 2
(i) General Knowledge
- Current Events
- News and updates in the field of Science
- History of India
- Geography of Nature
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Para jumbles
- Error spotting
- Jumbled sentences
- Sentence correction
- Fill in the blanks
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Territorial Army exam pattern for written exam is divided into two papers. Paper 1 comprises questions from Reasoning and Elementary Mathematics. Paper 2 comprises questions from the General Knowledge and English. The question paper of Territorial Army comprises 200 objective-type questions.
Citizenship- The candidate should be a citizen of India. Age Limit– The candidate should be of an age between 19 and 42 years, on the date of application. Educational Qualification- The candidate should at least have done graduation or its equivalent.
Initially, there will be a written test. Candidates who successfully pass it will be called for an interview. And if the candidate clears the interview, he/she finally has to undergo a medical test as the final stage of the selection procedure.
Yes, for every wrong answer, the candidate will be penalized with a reduction in the marks.